Monday, July 10, 2006

Drugs are bad.....ummkay?

As a rock star I am constantly being offered drugs, or asked if I have any that other people can score. The answer is always no. I have been approached by people with this sort of thing on their minds at every show I have ever played in a particular bar here in Brandon. Sometimes I get approached by the same people more than once. I guess drug use messes with your memory. If I told you no last time, and the time before that, and the time before that, why do you think things will be different this time? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a total anti-drug crusader or anything. It's just not for me. If you feel like shortening your life and damaging your brain and possibly doing something really stupid, feel free. I'll stick to my beer and cigarettes.(which I am trying to quit, cigarettes anyway. Give up beer? Never!) I have played with many musicians over the years, some were potheads, some were alcoholics, some were just regular people. Without question I have seen drugs and alcohol ruin an other wise talented musician. It happens all the time. It's sad, yes and completely avoidable. Sometimes however, drugs and alcohol can make for some pretty damned amusing times while "on the road".

We were playing in Boissevain a number of years ago. We had arrived early and gotten checked into our rooms before going to the bar to set up. Our guitar player at the time was a fairly serious pothead. Chronic, if you will. While in the room I was sharing with him he produced a baggie and proceeded to cut and chop some "high grade mary jane" in preparation to pack a bowl. We ended up getting called to the bar to deal with some minor PA issue so he carefully laid his stash to rest on a magazine cover and slid it into the small night stand between the beds. PA problem solved I return to my room. Our bass player joins me for a chat and to just hang out. Pot head guitar player is delayed somewhere and not back to his stash. Bass player is a car guy. A bigtime MOPAR or no car kind of gear head. He spies a magazine on the shelf. A car magazine. He grabs said magazine and quickly pulls it out of it's hiding place and gives it a good strong flick before starting to thumb through it. I am sitting there, mouth agape at what has just happened. Bass player is wondering what the problem is. I start to chuckle, then full on belly laugh. Bass player is really confused now. No idea what's going on. I explain to him that guitar players stash was sitting on that magazine waiting to be attended to and enjoyed. The remainder of said stash would then be repacked in the baggie for enjoyment at a later time. This of course was now going to be very difficult for guitar player to do as the entire stash was now on the carpet. The deep GREEN shag carpet. Bass player looked shocked at first. An, "Oh my God, What have I done" sort of look. This was quickly replaced by the "He shouldn't have left his stuff just laying around like that" look. I resumed my laughter.

Guitar player has now returned to the room and spies bass player leafing through the aforementioned magazine. I am trying to play it cool as we have decided to pretend nothing happened.
"Where did you get that?" questions guitar player.
"Right here on the table" states bass player.
"Did you move my stuff?" questions guitar player.
"Which stuff would that be?" questions bass player.
"Bwahahahahahahahahah!" says I. At this point guitar player has come to the conclusion that we are messing with him.
"Where is my stuff?" he queries in a ha ha very funny sort of way.
"There" I say while pointing to the floor and drying the tears from my eyes.
Slowly the realization of what has occurred comes over guitar player's face. Followed by anger and yelling. A lot of yelling. Profanity and claims of "you owe me this much" and threats of violence. And more laughter from me. Bass player makes his point about maybe not leaving your prized pot just laying around. I have to agree it was not the brightest move on guitar players part. Then again, when are potheads known to be very bright anyway?

Cooler heads prevailed and there was no violence. Bass player apologized but did not offer to repay or replace the spilt ganja. Guitar player got over his loss by scoring more from a local. I continued to laugh about the whole thing for most of the week-end. I guess drugs can be good after all. Good entertainment for those of us who are not on them and don't care what happens to them. I still see guitar player around town every now and then. He's still a pot head as far as I know. Bass player is still my best friend and playing in my current band. He's still a car guy who reads car magazines without checking for pot first. I still find the whole situation very funny.

10 Comments:

Blogger Mama D said...

That is funny. I fully expected the guy to pick the stuff out of the carpet and smoke a nasty pot/green shag carpet mix.

Knowing how physically intimidating your bass player is, I'm not suprised the guitar player thought better of startin' somethin'. Wise move.

Thanks for the story.

8:20 AM  
Blogger bon said...

Nah... it's the Meth heads who get down on hands-n-knees combing through carpet strands for any stray kernal, grain or rock.

I just kind of wonder about housekeeping, you know, when they came in to vaccuum. Our vaccuum always kinda heats up the content and the smell of da dope is hard to mistake!

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't remember that situation happening that way at all there Chris, and trust me, despite being a "pothead" I still have a pretty vivid memory....so cut the bullshit.

Let me tell you a few things, despite being a pothead I have managed to impress more than one or two people with my guitar abilities. I also am manager of one of the largest manufactures of metal cladding and trim in Western Canada with 21 people who work for me, a job I got through hard work and dedication. I am also one of the only employees for Behlen Industries that has been promoted from the manufacturing floor to management. Again, a result of dedication and hard work....despite being a pothead.
I make over 50,000 a year in my position and am currently up for another promotion....despite being a pothead. In the past seven years I have taken numerous courses including getting my High School Diploma...not some test that gives you high school equivilant but a two year effort at achieving a real diploma. I have also raised, with great success, three children, two of which have special needs. I have been given accolades for my work with them and my patience. All this despite being a pothead as you so eliquently put it.

Simple put....despite being a pothead, I have had more success than you could ever dream of, I mean, weren't you resently unemployed, and at your age....clap clap....wonderful.

I was involved in a few of the rather colorful stories you have presented in your blog and can say that most of it is a load of crap...or fabricated horseshit to make you look like a small town rockstar.

My recent arrest for growing a rather small amount of dope, at a location far from my family is the only thing I am not proud of, but I learned from that, cleaned up my act and am living cleaner now than I ever have. I have rejected any medication for some serious anxiety attacks that I suffer from as a result of a tramatic experience I had as a child. I have had to undergo extensive therapy for those issues and am man enough to admit I had a serious problem and addiction.

And I took care of it like a man would....face to face. I've danced with the Devil and kicked his sorry ass back to hell.

All this despite being a pothead.

Your portrail of me in this blog is colorful to say the least. Life for you must be extremely boring if this is the best you can come with. In the time I spent in Lagerhead we had alot of golden moments, share those maybe.

The fact that you don't do drugs does not make you the end all to say all. Your shit stinks just like the rest of us.

Being a pothead has saved my life. Had I not had the medical benefits of it to help eliviate the anxiety I suffer from, I would be dead now, a fact I can tell you to be quite true.

I recently lost someone very very close to me to a serious debilitating disease....my father. I had a brother who was viciously murdered 14 years ago. Life for me is a daily struggle...a struggle I intend to win.

I'm 10 times the man you'll ever be.....despite being a pothead.

Now you've be "thunderstruck"

signed...
Randy Shand (and damn proud of it)

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a pretty silly story. I'm really surprised you wasted the time on telling it. I'm not a pothead but I do partake occasionally but wow.... you've got a stinky sense of humor dude

7:57 PM  
Blogger The Big FUGR said...

Well, I've apparently ruffled some feathers. Oh well. I stand by the story and if Randy can't grow up and move on, that's not my problem. I also like how "anonymous" got their digs in as well. At least Randy used his own name. Grow a pair. Next up, more humourous stories from my rock and roll past. I think they're funny anyway.

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey man you misspelled "manufacturer" and "portrail" and "eliviate"...despite being a pothead

hahahaha

Papa D

I think I misspelled "misspelled"

1:41 PM  
Blogger Mama D said...

Wow! Controversy! How exciting. Hmmmm. I am surprised you played in a band with this fellow for so long. Doesn't seem like a very nice chap. Or at least his feelings get hurt easily.

Randy go ahead and be proud of yourself. Don't waste your time demeaning others.

I don't think Chris was really dissing you, he was just being entertaining. If you actually do read his other entries you'll see that he also wrote about himself falling off the stage onto his microphone. It's not all about you.

You need to chill out.

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Smells like a soap-opera to me ?

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny thing is I remember this situation exactly like it was written. Funny thing is that Chris has been one of your biggest supporters. Every time I had something negative to say about you he always said I was wrong and that you had changed. I have to admit I had REALLY changed my opinion about you in the last 2 years or so. I felt we both had moved on from our many differences, and could be friendly-ish with each other. To have come back from the medical condition with your hands and be able to play the way you do is something very impressive to say the least. And for you to compliment me on my improved playing made me feel good. I think you went overboard and assumed Chris was attacking you, when in fact he was refering to others that he has played with. Some of which I have and some I have'nt. Talented guys who really have done nothing with the talent due to the vices they have to deal with. We all know someone like this with all the god given talent in the world and yet squanders it away for one reason or another. With your track record playing in sucessfull bands over the period of more than 20 years, and still being able to tear it up every night. I know you are'nt one of the people Chris was talking about. Just my 2 cents. Oh and remember people want to see the car crashes and skaters nutting themselves, which is why road stories are the most entertaining when they involve disaster or pain.

Doug

10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work » » »

7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home