Thursday, April 20, 2006

6 Weird Things About Me

I've been tagged. I'm still pretty new to the whole blog thing so I'm not %100 sure what that means. As far as I can tell it means that I have to post about the topic above since that what I was tagged with. I can do that. So, without any further ado....

6 Weird Things About Me...

1 - I hate to be barefoot. I need to always have at least a pair of socks on. The only exceptions to this rule are sleeping and bathing. I like wearing shoes but can not stand the idea of not wearing socks in them. Even if I'm just stepping out for a second to take the garbage out or go for a cigarette, I need to be wearing socks and shoes. When I was an infant my mother would attempt to put me on the lawn and as she lowered me closer to the grass I would raise my feet and legs higher. When she actually did put me down I would do everything in my power to keep my feet off the grass. I still hate the feeling of grass under my feet. I also can not sing with the band unless I'm wearing shoes. I just can't.

2 - I love to be scared. I have always loved horror movies. As a kid they used to freak me out in a big way but I always came back to them. I still do. I remember seeing the classic "An American Werewolf In London" when I was about 11 or 12 and not sleeping for at least three days afterwards. It's still one of my favorite movies. I have not been really freaked out like that by a movie in a very long time but every now and then an image or scene will stick with me and come back to haunt me at the strangest times. I saw "The Sixth Sense" when it first came out and loved it. A few days later I found myself alone at home with only one light on. I got up to get something and found myself staring down a long hallway at a closed door. The Sixth Sense is full of scenes like that. This to me is the scariest thing I can imagine. I'm a 36 year old grown man and still get freaked out by closed doors at the ends of long hallways. I also like to research hauntings and ghost stories on the Internet. Every know and then I'll be reading this stuff for hours when I realize that it has gotten dark, and I'm home alone, and all the lights in the house are off. I'll get up and turn one light on, then move to another one, and another until the whole house is brightly lit. Then I'll see that damned closed door at the end of the hall. Gets my adrenaline going every time. I love it.

3 - I love playing video games but I suck at every one I've ever played. It's true. I have only ever finished or "beaten" one video game in my entire life. I keep playing them though. For hours and hours and hours, often on the same level over and over again. I get frustrated and angry and I start yelling at the screen and throwing things around the room. This is fun to me. I tell my wife that she can tell how much fun I'm having by how much profanity I'm spouting and how angry I get. She doesn't get it but it's true. Maybe that's why she doesn't like to play with me very often.

4 - I find a lot of things funny that some other people, ok most other people do not. One of my favorite things to do is surf the Internet looking for videos of people hurting themselves in spectacular fashion. Stupid people make me laugh, especially when they hurt themselves. My favorites are extreme sports kids not landing that big skateboard or bicycle jump. I LOVE that! I used to crash my bike a lot when I was a kid too. I did some stupid things on my bike but nothing like these kids today. I also laugh out loud at general stupidity. I watched a video the other day of some stupid kid who put on a pair of safety goggles to protect his eyes then lit a firecracker he held in his teeth. I thought to myself, at least he's protecting his eyes. Then I burst out laughing at the thought of what was going to happen next. Sure enough, the firecracker went off and he was instantly in very obvious pain. Blood was flowing from his mouth and the aftermath showed a few missing teeth and some really bad burns around his mouth. Other people will no doubt agree that this was a very stupid thing for this kid to do. They would also probably gasp in horror and recoil in shock at the results of his actions. I laughed my ass off and watched it about 6 times in a row.

5 - I can't eat pork. Or ham, or bacon, or any pork related product. This is a tough one for me. I love the taste! My favorite sandwich of all time is Black forest ham and swiss cheese with deli mustard on rye bread. I can't have it though. It has been a slow and gradual process that started when I was kid. I had roast pork on a bun at a scout camp. Two hours later I was being taken to the hospital with severe abdominal pain. I had it before with no problems. I thought maybe it was just something about that particular piece of pork but every time I've had it since then has turned out the same way. A lot of pain. Slowly over the last 20 years or so other pork products have begun to produce the same results. I have never been diagnosed as being allergic or anything like that. My body has just gradually decided that it won't "do" pork anymore. Pork chops, bacon, ham, ribs etc. I almost cried when I added hot dogs to the list! Thankfully they make hot dogs from beef as well or I'd probably go insane. About the only thing I can handle now is pepperoni on pizza. By the time a slice of pig has become pepperoni it has been processed to the point where very little of the original pork content remains.

6 - I LOVE bad movies. Really bad movies. The kind of movies Ed Wood used to make. Not movies that are supposed to be bad. Not movies that just didn't turn out very well. I LOVE movies made by inept directors who have no business making movies in the first place. Z grade movies. Movies with lots of mistakes and oversights. The kind where you can see members of the crew or equipment in the background. Movies in which the acting is so bad you end up rolling your eyes and thinking what the hell? Horror movies are great for this kind of thing. So are Sci Fi movies. Really bad "special" effects along with horrible acting and a completely ridiculous "plot" are wonderful things. My personal video collection is littered with these kinds of movies. If I rent something that turns out to be spectacularly awful I will immediately think "I have to buy this movie!". I own such fine cinematic masterpieces as "Redneck Zombies", "The Mesa Of Lost Women", "The Cocaine Fiends", "Whatever Happened To Spider Baby" and my all time favorite Ed Wood, ahem, film, "Bride Of The Monster". Most people argue that "Plan Nine From Outer Space" is the worst movie ever made but I prefer "Bride". It has everything a really bad movie needs and more. It was also the film that Mr. Wood himself was the most proud of and that kind of dedication and delusion has to be respected.

There you go. 6 weird things about me. Maybe not as weird as some other people but I am who I am. My mom thinks I'm cool...

3 Comments:

Blogger bon said...

Yup!
Y'all are seriously freaky, but I'd have to agree with your mom.

11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what did you do when we trained TKD outside? Doesn't Iron have foto evidence of barefoot Kemp in Passout Park?

Does Disorderlies by the Fat Boys make your worst list? Maybe that's a real amature question. Or, excuse the pun, a bad question?

And yes I agree with bon, y'all are seriously freaky. LOL

9:58 AM  
Blogger Mama D said...

No wonder we're friends, #'s 3 and 4 are two of my weird things. Except I'm AWESOME at video games! Which I guess you know since I've probably beat you many times. Buuuwaahhhaa!! Love ya!

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home